4.24.2008

The big picture

Something else that really bogs me down is that I too often see the big picture. But I see it with negative glasses, which snowball to every catastrophe.

The Earth is overpopulated. There's no indication that numbers are decreasing. Unless there's a mass die-off, there will be no green space left. I don't think most people realize what a snowball effect something small they do has down the line. If certain bugs die off, then certain plants die off, maybe even crops. Then other animals die off. OK, not a certified expert in ecology, but that's what it comes down to. We're shutting down our ecosystems. We're dooming ourselves. But get the majority of people to believe that? Think again. Well, there's that new doomsday vault in ... Iceland? Greenland? Norway? ... somewhere North and cold. And stable. So probably not Iceland.

I wouldn't mind a virus that wiped out a lot of people. Of course I don't want to be one of them, but I don't think I would have a choice. If it's not a new disease, then will warfare doom us? Will or can be peace ever be achieved? People are greedy, resources are limited. I am doubtful.

Humans are doomed. Face fact. Should we try to limit our resource use? Or should we just splurge until the earth is a big brown stinky mess?

1 Comments:

At 11:20 AM , Blogger nell said...

There was a segment of some program on one of the PBS stations a few weeks ago that was discussing the vault, and I think it was the Norwegian govt paying for it although the Global Crop Diversity Trust (?) is the actual group behind it.


Humans will destroy the earth. I guess it's a just a matter of when and how. So for the people that are aware of all this, how can you *not* be discouraged and feel hopeless about it all?

The future we've created for ourselves is so SciFi it's scary. It's hard to believe such things are possible, I guess, for many people. So they stick their heads in the sand and live the life they've always lived, using and consuming without thought. And the sad part is we're all guilty of it. I can talk big, but I still drink bottled water sometimes because the water at work tastes like crap.

But I guess in the end, I don't think it's entirely hopeless. I think it's still worthwhile to try even though we might be discouraged or overwhelmed at times.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home